On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 Diana Wall, the Program Coordinator of Bags of Love, One Hope Ministries International, spoke to Mom's Connection about this wonderful ministry. So many children in our own community are going hungry over the weekends and holiday breaks.
Deprived and waiting statistics:
Berkeley County, WV : 4,400 children are food deprived
Jefferson County, WV : 1.850 children are food deprived
In September 2010, the Bags of Love program was born, the first and original bagging program of its kind in the Eastern Panhandle. With this being just one of the many ministries provided, Bags of Love allows us to give back and strengthen our community through nutrition and support families in need.
Bags of Love volunteers collect donations that allow them to purchase suggested foods. They are then packed and delivered in bags to local schools. Teachers privately slip the bag into a select child's bookbag on Fridays, keeping the child's privacy a number one priority.
There are several ways you can get involved with Bags of Love:
1. Sponsor a school or a select number of children for an entire year.
2. Sponsor a single child- $20 a month is all it takes to feed a child for a month.
3. Donate any amount. They will combine with other donations to sponsor a child.
4. Help pack the bags on packing days.
5. Help deliver the bags on Thursdays to area schools.
6. Help spread the word about the ministry.
For more information or to get involved, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
PO Box 2751, Martinsburg, WV 25402, 304-261-4007