Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cloth Diapers

When I first started looking at cloth diapers, I was nervous and not sure I could navigate through it. It feels like second nature now and I love doing it. It's definitely a lot easier than it looks! It's a little bit of extra work, but it feels so good knowing that I'm saving our family a lot of money. I think the diapers are much cuter than disposables anyways!

I currently use 2 types of cloth diapering systems. You will find that most people who cloth diaper have a few different types of diapers that they use. Right now I use FuzziBunz (http://www.fuzzibunz.com) when we are away from home and a mixture of FuzziBunz and cotton prefolds, with a snappy and a "Thirsties" (http://www.thirstiesbaby.com/covers.htm) or GDiaper (www.gdiaper.com)brand cover at home. The FuzziBunz are considered a pocket diaper. You can purchase FuzziBunz in sizes (XS-L) or in One-size, which grow with the child. I purchased the one-size so that it would be most economical. Normal prices on FuzziBunz One-size are $18.95-$20.95 a piece. I have always purchased mine one sale and never paid more than $16.10 a piece, but it does take some searching to find a store that has them on sale.

Currently I have 12 FuzziBunz, 12 cotton prefolds in Maggie's current size, 2 Thirsties Covers, and 1 GDiaper Cover. I can actually stretch out laundry if needed for 3 days, but normally I do it about every 36 hours. I line dry them outside then as well. Most people just try out different diapers until they find the ones that work best for them. I just happened to try FuzziBunz early on and loved them, so I've stuck with them. If anyone is interested in trying cloth diapers, I'd recommend starting out buying 3 or 4 pocket diapers, a dozen prefolds, and 2 covers. Then you can see which system you like better, and build from there.

I also purchased 4 packs of washcloths from Walmart that I use for wipes. I just use an old wipes container and get them wet with a mixture of water, baby shampoo, and baby lotion. For less than $5, I no longer have to buy wipes and I just throw them in the wash with my diapers!

If you would like to try cloth diapers I would be happy to discuss the options with you. Please contact me at janessas2@yahoo.com.

Janessa Solem
(Janessa is new to Mom's Connection and is a mother to Maggie Elaina, 2 months old.)

No comments:

Post a Comment