Monday, March 22, 2010

Diving Deeper in God's Word

Many of you know I have been in church my entire life. I was dedicated, baptized, and saved in an Assembly of God church. However, during those years I was in and out of my salvation. I made decisions to go against what I knew God wanted for me. It was a choice to live my own way. Because of that I did not live in victory. I believed the lies satan told me. I lived in condemnation and guilt even though I still walked through the church doors on Sunday!

Over seven years ago, my relationship with God changed. He no longer wanted my devotion half-hearted. So out of pure compulsion from the Lord, I started going to a prayer group a few times a month. During this time, God started changing me. Seeing God work through the other women's lives in this prayer group encouraged me to dive deeper with God. One way I did this was by reading the Bible. God opened up His word to me in a new way by speaking directly to me through scripture. It was like getting a new revelation every day!

One of the first scriptures God used to capture my heart was Psalm 103:1-5. Even to this day I remember that God has "redeemed my life from the pit". Because that's what I was in for so many years~ a pit. A pit of lies, pride, self-centeredness, hate, unforgiveness and the list goes on and on. Then when God wanted to use my life in a greater way He spoke to me through Psalm 37:5-6. He wanted me to step out in faith and trust Him that He could still use my life for His glory!

Now God regularly gives me a passage of scripture that draws me closer to him, changes me, or points me in the right direction. I wanted to share the scripture God has recently given me. I feel like it's for all of us. In Psalm 115:1 it reads, "Not to us, O Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory because of your love and faithfulness". I think it's important to remember it's not about us. What we are doing needs to always be about Him! I find this scripture incredibly powerful when I'm praising God. It takes my mind off my circumstances, my attitude, and myself to focus all my attention to the one worthy of all praise.

Blessings,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment