Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wait Your Turn

"No Tommy, it's my turn", Heather says. "Mommy, Tommy isn't taking turns." Wait your turn Tommy", I say.

As moms there are many instructions we give our children that only seem important at the moment we give them. [Take turns, Share, Be Patient] As our children grow into adults however, it will become evident whether or not they will remember and obey these instructions. There are some children who are never given these simple instructions at all.

I think about this when I am driving and a person almost hits me because they turn when I have the right-of-way (Wait your Turn). Or I am irritated when the person in front of me is driving too slow (Be Patient). When we are called to pull together our resources to help a family in need (Share). I begin to realize how important these instructions are, not only the moment we give them but they carry over into our children's adulthood. I think about how I need to remember these things in my own life and be an example to those who never heard them when they were children.

God's word says,"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." 1 Corinthians 13:11. These instructions are not just for our children today to help them to grow into thoughtful, patient, well-adjusted adults. They originate from God's word and have been passed down by mothers for generations. Let's continue to pass them on to our children so they can grow to become the people God intended them to be.

Love In Christ,
Kim Ratcliffe

No comments:

Post a Comment