Monday, July 20, 2009

Contrast of Two Deaths

My mother says, "A person dies like they live." I know that's not always the case in life. It certainly wasn't for Jesus. However in regard to my dad and my neighbor, Bob, it's true. One year after we said goodbye to Bob, my father passed away. Since then I have often compared their lives and their deaths. How these two lives intertwined, lived so differently, and died one year apart in completely opposite ways. Over the last few weeks I have thoroughly described Bob, his life and death. Now let me tell you about my father's.

My father had a heart defect that stemmed from a childhood illness that went untreated. He had to have open heart surgery at 30 years old. This caused him to live everyday as a gift from God and to the fullest. He was a godly man and showed it in every aspect of his life. He cared for others, spent time with them, and helped them. I feel inadequate in completely describing the kind of person he was or how he lived. He is the greatest man I have ever known.

The day of my father's death looked quite different from Bob's. My mom found my dad under a pine tree in our yard. She recounts this for me, "I saw him from a distance and he looked like he had fallen asleep." Instead of suffering an agonizing fight with death, my dad looked like he had fallen asleep under a pine tree. What a blessing to go peacefully under a tree you had planted yourself especially since he was such an outdoors man. He died from the heart condition at only 48 years old.

The unsettled sadness we had over Bob's death was not felt for my dad because we knew where he was. It was heartbreaking and continues to be because he is missed so much. But I know I will see him again one day in heaven!!

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" (Psalm 116:15 ).

Blessings,

Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment