Monday, July 6, 2009

Lessons I learned from Bob...Part III

I have been sharing over the last two weeks lessons I learned from Bob. These "lessons" are not things he taught me himself by his actions or words. They are what I learned from getting to know him as we were trying to share the love of Jesus with him.

During the summer months when my sisters and I were trying to find fun things to do, we would visit Bob. Sometimes we were selling our mud pies which he always purchased from us at a reasonable price. Ha ha!! Or on special occasions I would make him a cake with my easy bake oven. One time particular we visited him to play hide and seek in his house. We would hide and he would have to try to find us. It was during this game that I happened upon a stack of Playboy's. I don't remember how old I was but I was old enough to know there was something wrong with these magazines. I immediately found my sisters and we left. I never told anyone about it but I made sure it was the last time we visited him alone.

Before this experience I thought everyone was like us. I thought every man was as good as my dad and every person was as they portrayed themselves. Instead I learned people are not what they seem and there are secret sins. "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7) Only God knows what is inside of each of us.

I admit I didn't see Bob the same way anymore. It's sad really, how sin can change the way people see us. How wonderful that God loves us the same. After all "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

Blessings,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment