Monday, May 4, 2009

Managing Faithfully

It was more than five years ago, when I felt the leading of God to start Mom's Connection. God birthed the desire in my heart and it grew steadily. I had many discussions with the Lord about whether He was sure He had the right person. One day God spoke to me so clearly. He said to me "Either you start this group or I will find someone else who will. But you will know that it was you whom I first called." I immediately stopped in my tracks of disobedience against God and began saying, "Yes Lord, send me!" Nearly everyday I thank God for giving me this opportunity to lead this group and I pray He will find me faithful.

There are times I think this group is mine but it hardly is. With every year that passes I know even that much more of how it belongs to God. I am only the manager! In Luke 12: 42-44, it reads "Who then is the faithful and wise manager,...he will put him in charge of all his possessions." I want God to trust me as He placed me as a manager. But this is not just for me but for every believer! We all have a calling on our lives to be faithful managers in the same areas.

One of the those areas is to be managers of the secret things of God. In 1 Corinthians 4:1-2 the Bible reads, "So then men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God. Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful." The secret things of God is the truth of God's Word. We grow as believers in these things by the study and reading of the Bible. When we do this we are "speaking God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began" (1 Cor. 2:7). We must prove faithful in sharing God's plan of reconciliation to sinners and for growing up believers.

Another area we all have in common as managers is our spiritual gifts. We all have them and must use them for God's glory! This spiritual gift is endowed to you when you enter the family of God to be of great service to the Kingdom. Some of these gifts are teaching, preaching, hospitality, counseling, pastoring, leadership, giving, administrative, and all kinds of other gifts. They are God's investment in you. In 1 Peter 4:10, it reads "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms".

God has also given us households to manage for the kingdom. We, as moms, understand this completely because we are the engineers of the home. We make sure our family has something to eat, our kids get to their activities, homework is done, household supplies are stocked up, and many other things to keep our homes running smoothly. But we have to take good care of everything God gives us materially even the furniture, vehicles, carpet, etc. In 1 Timothy 3:5, it reads "If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?" Managing our households goes far beyond material as well. It's taking good care of the people in our homes. Our husbands and children have been entrusted to us by God to take great care.

For many of us this next one is the hardest. We have no problem taking good care of everything and everyone God has given us except ourselves. We pour our lives out for others but ignore our own needs. In 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 we are instructed to take care of our bodies as well. It reads, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with you body." We can honor God by eating healthy, getting exercise, and resting.

Let me challenge you today to think about what kind of manager are you? Think about what your spiritual gift is and how you are using it for God right now. Consider how you care for your husband and children. Does God find you faithful in what He has already given you?

Blessings,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment