Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Tribute to Sierra

Right after moving into my home eleven years ago, my husband brought home a puppy. She was a husky mix with brown and white hair and brown eyes. She was so cute and small. We named her Sierra because she reminded me of a desert. She was a good dog.

Of course she went through her terrible twos like all dogs. She dug a hole in our wall trying to get to the living room. She chewed up every chair leg on my new oak table. She had her fair share of accidents. But after that period of time she became a great dog.

Everyone who saw her commented on how beautiful she was. The shedding in the spring and summer was sometimes unbearable. I would have fur balls rolling across my dining room floor like tumbleweeds. We started getting her shaved and even then she was beautiful.

Sierra was my baby for two years before I had a baby. Then I regret to say she was put on the back burner. I couldn't tear my attention away from my son Lee. But she sure was good with the transition. Even when Hannah was born and crawled all over her she was kind and gentle. How lucky we were with a good dog.

She was a good watch dog too. She barked at everyone who came into the house. But as soon as you entered she was your best friend. I loved to have her at the door when strangers knocked because she gave them a ferocious show. I could rest peaceably knowing she would hear any strange sounds and get up. However there were many times I would hear a noise and try to coax her down the hall and she would get behind me. That would make me so mad. She was still a good dog.

This morning I woke up with her laying on her special blanket on the floor beside my bed in the place she always slept. She had died during the night. Thank you God for blessing us with such an awesome, beautiful dog! Our Sierra will be missed!

Blessings,
Lisa

3 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa I am so sorry! I just met her for the first time yesterday and I remember you saying she was old and still was a good dog! I will pray for you today and you have lost someone you grew close with =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa, I grieve with you. We have two dogs and I do not know if I can handle it when they pass on. We had a collie before them and it broke my heart when he got sick and had to put him to sleep. My heart and prayers are for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lisa i am so sorry to hear bout your dog. so many of the things you said about it reminded me of my own dog who isnt even a yr old yet. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete