Monday, September 21, 2009

Bearing Burdens

"Mmmm! Mmmm!" That's the noise I make when I'm eating something delicious. I love food! I don't like to waste my time eating something I don't love to eat. I'm motivated by food. Now you know why we have brunch at every topic meeting. It's a must for me! Some of my favorite foods are my mother's lasagna, my chicken pot pie, my sister-in-law's potato salad, Chick-fil-A's chicken sandwich with their special sauce, and much more!

Loving food so much is probably why I enjoy making meals for others. I carefully plan the menu which normally is anywhere from three to five courses. I make sure I include something from all the food groups. While preparing it, I pray the family enjoys it and it blesses them. Maybe it's for a family who has had a baby, surgery, or death of a loved one. Whatever the reason, they need it. I always make sure my children come with me to deliver the food. They help me carry all the food into the house.

There is something special in taking a meal to a family. It's more than supplying a basic need, it's love in action. Buying the ingredients, preparing the meal, and delivering it is a labor of love. Sometimes we want to do something to help someone. We want to show them we care about them and what they are going through. For me- food delivery- comes naturally. It might not for you. Maybe you don't like to cook. Take out, a phone call, a card dropped in the mail, or cleaning their house would do just fine.

Showing love through action is what makes the difference. It takes a little more time. It's stepping out of your comfort into their pain. It's one of the ways we can bear a burden. It's not really about what you do. Just being there is what matters.

"Bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ" Galatians 6:2

Blessings,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment