Thursday, October 15, 2009

Being Swept Clean

As I was sweeping my kitchen one day, I became annoyed by the fact that no matter how much I swept there still seemed to be dirt left behind. Just when I thought I was done and began to mop, I noticed there was still dirt in corners and under the table. I then had to grab the broom again to pick up what I had missed. In my irritation I thought, why can't I ever get my floor clean enough?

The Lord then began to show me the comparison to this and my Christian life. I get annoyed in the same way when no matter how much I pray and repent, I still am not clean enough. There are still areas in my life where the dirt of sin and disobedience still remain. I have to go to the Lord daily to be swept clean again and to ask what areas still need attention. This is very frustrating for me. I want to be made completely clean right now. I am impatient with the cleaning process. No matter how much work God has already done there is still more to do. But thankfully God is patient when I am not. His word says "perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything" James 1:4. God made me realize that I must persevere until His work in me is complete. He further promises in Philippians 1:6...."that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus".

My kitchen floor may never be completely clean, but I am assured by God's word that one day I will be. So don't be discouraged we are all a work in progress. Let's look forward to the day when we see that work completed.

Kim Ratcliffe

No comments:

Post a Comment