Thursday, October 8, 2009

Patience

I confess... my son is a french fry addict. Every time we go by any place that sells anything that even remotely resembles a french fry we hear a little voice emanating from the backseat saying, "Fry-fries... daddy get fry-fries..." Of course, we have to pass by all of the major fast food restaurants in most of our travels and every time, without fail, we hear his little voice making it's pleas from the backseat.

Sunday, on our way to church we once again had to pass by those same restaurants and we heard him stating his case..." Fry-fries.... fry fries...I get fry-fries...." He had just had breakfast before we left the house. There was no way that he could possibly be hungry but out of habit, as soon as he saw us pass those golden arches he couldn't resist. After we had passed all the fry and burger joints I then heard him say, "You gotta wait...."

Ever since he said that on Sunday, I have been thinking about my level of patience. How many times in my life have I failed to tell myself that, "I gotta wait.."? How many times have I pleaded just like my son for something but failed to remember those three words my son said? How many times have I asked the Lord for something I thought I really needed and expected it instantaneously by my time standard?

After asking myself these questions I decided to dive into God's word to see what it says about patience. Psalm 27:13-14 says, " I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." As a mom, having patience doesn't always come easily but it is the one virtue that all of us need in abundance. We need patience as we watch our child do the same thing that he/she was told not to do at least ten times. We need patience as we are potty training our little ones....sending them to school...watching them head out into this big world. Join me today in praying that God will fill our hearts with patience so that we might teach our children this virtue through our own actions.


Tina Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment