Thursday, October 29, 2009

Treasures

My son, Sean, has a little white tote that contains what he calls his ,"treasures". His "treasures" are little toys that he has acquired from various places such as little cars, toys from McDonald's etc. To an adult, his little trinkets might seem far from anything we would consider precious but to his three-year-old heart they are really something.

This reminded me about a writing assignment I had in high school where the teacher had us write about a scenario he had created. In this scenario he had us imagine that our house was burning down and we had two minutes to grab something precious to us. We could only save one thing and we had to explain why we saved what we did, it's significance to us, and why we prized it above all of our other possessions, in effect, why it was our "treasure".

Most of my peers wrote down superficial things such as a favorite CD, love letters from a boyfriend or girlfriend, one student even chose the football that got the winning touchdown at one of his games. I do not remember what I chose and it probably holds no real significance to me now. However, I reflected on what I would save today if I had to write the same paper. I tried to think of something clever all day and couldn't come up with a single thing. In each stage of my life, I would have chosen different things but now instead of something being precious to me-- it's someone, my son.

Like any parent I would do anything for my child including sacrificing myself physically, emotionally, and financially. I have never felt this way about anyone before and for me it really puts God's love into perspective. Jesus must have been extremely precious to God, so for him to send his son to die for us...we all must be precious to him.
 
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life". John 3:16
 
Tina Burton

1 comment:

  1. Very touching Tina! I think we all need to be reminded from time to time that we are God's treasures.

    ReplyDelete