Monday, October 5, 2009

God's No Fantasy

 
"Mommy, I want a laptop for Christmas this year but don't worry, Santa's going to get it for me". My son is already making his mental Christmas list. But after I heard him say that, my heart sank. He really believed it. He believes in Santa. I know its great when they believe when their two, three, or even six but nine years old!!! I just assumed it wouldn't be an issue by this age. I have never point blank told my children that Santa's real. I just make reference to him around the holidays. I have always focused on Jesus as the real reason for the season.

However, I felt compelled to set the record straight. So I busted his bubble. I told my son Santa's a fantasy. In school he has been studying the different types of writings. (Ex. fiction, fantasy, nonfiction, etc.) So he completely understood what I meant by a fantasy. Then of course he asked about the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy. As I was crushing all his childhood dreams, I thought where is the hope in all this. Then I knew...

I was overwhelmed with the great news that God is no fantasy. Jesus really did die on a cross for our sins. Our eternal hope and future is secure in Christ Jesus! I can feel His presence. I can speak to my Savior. The whole Earth testifies to a divine Creator. So I looked at my beautiful boy and told him, "But all is not lost. The real reason for Christmas is what I have always told you. It's about Jesus!"

Then instead of focusing on what is not real, we turned to what is. I talked to him about the certainty of our faith in Jesus, the truth of God's Word, and our eternal destiny that can never be taken away from us! As I finished praying with him that night, he thanked me.

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39

Blessings,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment