Monday, October 12, 2009

Getting to Know....Heidi Shank

This month I have chosen to feature a very special woman in Heidi Shank. She is the leader of our Women's Ministries group, a member of the praise and worship team at Bethel Assembly of God in Martinsburg, WV, and an important member of Mom's Connection. (Pictured above from left to right is Heidi, her two daughters, and sister)

She really has a heart for God, His ministry and serving His people. I recently sent her a questionnaire so I could find out more about her and one of the questions I asked was about Women's Ministries. I asked her what the mission of the group is and who can be a part of it. Her answer was that ,"Women’s Ministry at Bethel is for ALL ladies…in any stage of life. As women we all need other ladies who can relate to our everyday experiences. We are endeavoring to minister to all women in all stages of their lives. Come out and join us for some exciting activities. You don’t want to miss out on the FUN!!"

She has served on the worship team for 13 years and also directs Kid's Choir. She has a beautiful voice and I enjoy hearing her sing every Sunday. I asked her about her favorite thing about Mom's Connection and she said, "Spending time with other moms. It’s good to know there are others out there going through some of the same every day struggles with their children. I enjoy our topic discussions."

Heidi has been married to her husband Joel for 13 years. They met when they both worked at Kmart. They began dating in January of 1994 and were married on June 29th, 1996. They have two beautiful girls, Haylie is 9 and Abbi is 4. They are her life. She loves being a mom. I asked her about the most rewarding thing about being a mom and she said it is seeing how her girls are growing into smart, lovely young ladies. She says she hopes to instill something positive into their lives even though she says sometimes she has to remind them that they need to act like "young ladies and not monsters".

Her hobbies and interests include spending time with family and friends. She is passionate about music and singing. She loves cooking and baking. She loves to shop but "only when she has the money in which to do so". She also likes to read and loves being connected to the outside world through her computer. She enjoys connecting with old friends and making new ones.

I asked her what a relationship with the Lord means to her and she said, "I don’t remember ever not having the Lord in my life. I was very young when I accepted him into my heart. Even when times were tough, I always knew he was there. To me, Jesus is my friend, my comfort, my peace and so many other things in my life. But most of all He saved me and He sustains me every single day." Her favorite Bible verse ( if she had to pick just one) would be Psalm 34:1 which says, "I will praise the Lord at all times; His praise is always on my lips." This verse reminds her that even though it's not always easy to praise him in the hard times " if we ask the Lord for help he will answer us and save us from all we fear. He is always there when we need Him."

I have really enjoyed getting to know more about Heidi and I hope that you have also.
Tina Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment