Monday, March 16, 2009

In Christ Alone

I opened the door and placed the container inside it. I closed the door, pushed some buttons, and presto it came to life. Suddenly I heard a crackle and I saw smoke pouring out the back of it. Immediately I realized it's dead. I am irritated and confused because it had never failed me before. It was my MICROWAVE...

On a daily basis I put my faith in things that will eventually stop short. I have put my faith in people who disappointed me. I have put my faith in friends who let me down. I have put my faith in the institution of a church and was unfulfilled. I have put my faith in pastors who opened my eyes to their humanity. Everything I have put my faith in has failed me except Christ Jesus. Only when I have put my faith completely in Christ am I never disappointed.

I learned this early in life from my father but not the way you might imagine. Because my father was a godly man. I can honestly say he never disappointed me. He was just, honest, and loving. I could count on him in any situation. He was in my view the perfection of what a father should be. However he died. He was human. I know it wasn't his fault. I know he didn't leave me on his own. But it is a reminder to me that it is my heavenly father who said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you" Joshua 1:5. It was then my faith completely rested 100% in Christ.

I believe it is something we must all at one point come to realize. Our faith should rest in Christ alone. All humanity and all earthly things will eventually show their frailities and imperfections, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23 Yet in Christ alone I am filled with peace, joy, and love. I lay all my expectations at His feet. It relieves others in my life from fulfilling me in areas that only Christ can. "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine" Ephesians 3:20

Who is your faith in today?

Blessings,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment